6 Top Tips To Desensitizing Your Dog From Objects They Fear
We listed our top tips for desensitizing your dog from new objects they fear below
1. Introduce New Scary Object Just Before Feeding. For at least a week, show the new object before feeding so your dog begins to associate it with good things.
2. Short Moments Of Exposure. Start by showing the new object for short periods of time then follow up with good things only (for example don't clip their claws, but give 3 treats instead).
3. Break Down The Scary Thing Into Small Steps. Start by putting the nail clippers near the dogs claws, then touching the claws, then holding the claw in the clippers and finally cutting. Praising and rewarding heavily for each step.
4. Being Patient. Slowly proceed to the next small step only when your dog is 100% comfortable. Remember, this is for the long run and to help your dog slowly enjoy any grooming routine.
5. Paying Attention To Your Dog's Response. If your dog seems unhappy or sensitive to the scary object at any time, go back a step and spend more time on that step.
6. Maintaining Focus. If your dog is scared of several things, work on one at a time maintaining a happy voice, rewarding with lots of treats and remaining patient.
What People Are Saying About Us...
"Really high quality pet nail clipper. The clipper comes in a heavy, really fancy looking box (which works great for storing the clipper to keep it clean). It looks very expensive. The nail clipper itself is heavy (good quality, not hard to hold) and easy to use. There is a small black switch to keep the clippers closed versus open, and the blades are quite sharp when cutting your pet's nails, making the process very easy and fast. I cut my cat's nails tonight with the clippers and she did not fight me at all. These clippers made the whole process really easy. I highly recommend these clippers, much better than the small cheaper ones you find at your local store. The clippers do come with easy to read instructions for cutting your pet's nails."
- Kristin S.
"Having 2 dogs, I have found it nearly impossible to clip their nails. I've tried different clippers, battery operated files, nothing worked. The clippers would split my dogs nails, and the battery files...not even worth the price tag as both were afraid of it. These clippers are amazing! My little dog, which is the hardest to do, sat on my lap and I clipped away. It took me literally 10 seconds to do both front paws. Each one clipped perfectly. The clippers even have a guard on them so I can't cut down to the quick by accident. All nails were clipped without any peeling or cracking. This is the first time I was able to do his nails without having to take him to the vet to do it in over a year!!! These are very high quality and safe. I highly recommend to any pet owner!!!!"
- Abigail G.
"I use to be paranoid cutting my dogs nails, because I was afraid to make her bleed— but with the kurma nail clippers it was super easy ! It came with easy to follow instructions and I am now confident with cutting my dogs nails :) yay"
- Stephanie T.
Leading Animals To A Better Home
Join the KURMA CLUB for new videos, discount codes, and more!